How many times have you gone on a diet to only realize you’ve gained weight back? To top it off you gained even more weight than before you went on the diet?
Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired, going from one type of diet to another. If that’s you, maybe losing weight with intermittent fasting is for you.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Over the years, there has been many types of diets and latest trends and fads. People are searching for the right way to not only lose their unwanted fat but keep it off. Is there a way that this can be done?
Intermittent fasting is a tool. It’s not a diet or a quick fix solution. You are not following a meal plan, or even cutting your calories. Instead it’s a pattern of changing when you eat and when you don’t eat.
When I first heard about this I was very skeptical to say the least. I thought, “Here we go again. Another fad another diet.” How can I even think of doing this as I train at the gym.
More thoughts ran through my mind like I will starve the body of the vital nutrients that it needs. I also thought that you need to keep eating every couple of hours, otherwise you will not have enough protein. Not to mention, you can slow down your metabolism by not eating throughout the day. Here’s the biggest question. How can you skip the most important meal of the day being breakfast? My whole life I heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I changed my tone once I saw all the great results people were getting by losing weight.
I also come to realize that it wasn’t just a brand new fad that’s just popped up overnight. It’s been around since civilization began and it’s even in the Bible. Most major religions practice it.
Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- Shedding unwanted body fat
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- keeps your heart healthy
- Reduces inflammation
- Reduces insulin resistance
- Lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Reduce oxidation stress
- Good for your brain
- Fresh healthy glow to your skin
Intermittent helps trigger the two main hormones in the body that controls weight and fat lose.
- Human Growth Hormone (HGH) increases dramatically when you fast. HGH is an anti-aging hormone that also aids in building lean muscle mass which also helps in losing fat.
- Insulin is another powerful hormone that aids in fat loss. When insulin is present, it will stop and block growth hormone. When you see people with the spare tire look around the belly area, it is because they are insulin resistance. The large belly could be a result of too much insulin present.
A Different Way to Eat
Again intermittent fasting is simply a pattern of changing when you eat and don’t eat.
- Five to six meals a day: Every time you eat a meal your pancreas produces insulin. Even healthy foods cause insulin. Insulin is actually a good thing. The problem is that we have been told to graze all day and keep the fire burning. The problem is our bodies are not designed to eat this way. Our great ancestors never ate this way. They would either feast or fast instead of graze all day, consuming the great amounts of sugar throughout the day.
- Three meals a day: Eating 3 meals a day will cause you not to snack, but eat at allocated times. You do not have to reduce calories and starve yourself.
- 16:8 method: The 16:8 method is where you fast for 16 hours straight. The best time I find is after dinner and during sleep. You would then eat your allocated calories within an eight hour window. Instead of eating the minute you wake up, wait until you are truly hungry. If your last meal of the day was at 8pm, your next meal shouldn’t be until noon the following day. As you get more experienced, you can try to eat when you experience real hunger cramps. Some of us may have forgotten what that feels like as we are always eating throughout the day.
Intermittent fasting is simply a tool not a diet or a quick fix solution. Intermittent fasting has great health benefits for your spirit, soul and body.
For those who are serious about weight management, intermittent fasting is one of the most important factors needed. It triggers the two main hormones in the body that controls weight to lose fat. Intermittent fasting increases HGH which protects muscle and aids in building lean muscle mass which also helps in losing fat. Insulin is another powerful hormone that aids in fat lose. When insulin is present, it will stop and block growth hormone especially around the belly.
The best thing about intermittent fasting is that it’s free. Give it a shot, unless your terminally ill, underweight, have a serious medical condition, or pregnant and breastfeeding .